The following collection of links may provide additional information for Nystagmus patients and parents of Nystagmus children. Updated 10/09/2013.
Misc. Articles About Vision
- An interesting article on Eye Friendly Computing was recently published by PC World. Read the Article.
For Parents, Schools & Education Related Site
- Nystagmus Network (U.K.) Variety of helpful publications
- The Daroff-Dell’Osso Ocular Motility Laboratory (OMLAB) Provides a weath of links to Nystagmus research as well as a patient information and education section.
- Reading Ally – Support Tools for Accessible Reading
- Information for Parents of School Children with Nystagmus
- IEP examples and education related links from the NOAH website
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Special Education – Wrightslaw web site – IDEA, IEPs, etc
- Special Education Process Explained – IDEA, IEPs, etc
- For parents of children with visual impairments Find videos, personal stories, events, news, and an online community that can offer tips and support from other parents of children who are blind or visually impaired.
- Accredited Online Colleges and Disability Education
Nystagmus Sites Around the World
- Nystagmus Network (U.K.)
- Deutsches Nystagmus Netzwerk
- Nystagmus Aware Australia
- WikiSpaces page with links to additional information
- The National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation (NOAH) – Nystagmus often occurs with albinism, ocular albinism (OA), and oculocutaneous albinism (OCA).
- Summary of genetic inheritance including dominant, recessive, and x-linked. Credit: Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Hospital (NHS U.K.)
- The Achromatopsia Network – network for individuals and families who are affected by the rare inherited nystagmus related vision disorder achromatopsia.
- United Cerebral Palsy Association – Some individuals with CP may also have nystagmus.
- The National Multiple Sclerosis Society – Some individuals with MS may acquire nystagmus.
- Nystagmus Webcast from Akron Children’s Hospital – Introduction to Eye Muscle Surgery: Expanding the Treatment for Nystagmus in Infancy and Childhood, September 8, 2011.
Low Vision Links
- Sightconnection.com – Various low vision aids.
- BiOptic Driving Network – Information on bioptic driving.
- Low Vision Driving Laws – State by State.
- The Low Vision Gateway – Information about low vision aids including magnifiers and bioptic lenses. Also contains a directory of low vision professionals.
- VisionAware – The Self Help Resource Center for Vision Loss”
- Ocutech Low Vision Solutions – includes information on bioptics for low vision drivers
- Sight for Students – is a VSP charity that provides free vision exams and glasses to low-income, uninsured children. The program operates nationally through a network of community partners who identify children in need and VSP network doctors who provide the eyecare services.
American Professional Organizations
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus – A “list of all full members of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus. It includes members from the United States, Canada as well as international members. It is listed by geographical location in order of State, Province or Country. It may be selectively searched.” This is a good way to search for an ophthalmologist near you.
- National Eye Institute
- Optometrist Network – Special needs for children
- LightHouse International